Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The street stalls of Seffarine


One of the joys of living in the Fes Medina is the pleasure derived from the little things. Not the fabulous architecture, not the mosques and arches, the tile-work or the fountains, but the streetscape that changes on a daily and sometimes hourly basis.

For an hour today I sat with a coffee in one of my favourite places - the Place Seffarine - and took it all in.

Just as exotic - some of these treats are truly strange!

Place Seffarine is THE place for anything copper.

A hole-in-the-wall shop - literally.

And everywhere... mint and parsley...


While I sipped my coffee and immersed myself in the scene in front of me I nearly forgot my own "rule" - always look up. When I remembered to check above me I discovered the cats...

The cats of Seffarine - high on a beam - watching the tourists.

I should mention the tourists. Once again I was treated to the spectacle that always amuses the locals and that is the phenomenon known as shorts... which despite constant mentions in the tourist guidebooks - people like the French dude below, insist on wearing.

Dressed for "safari" in Seffarine - right down to the khaki bag!


Oh well - as one observer said "After all he is in Africa..."

Tags:

3 comments:

Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

I don't know which photo I liked better: the cats perching from on high or the dork in shorts :)

Jillian said...

Oh, cat photography! They are adorable perched up there.

Anonymous said...

When will you do a feature on the headscarves Muslim women in France insist on wearing? They're in France, not the Sahara!!!