Thursday, February 21, 2008

Jennifer Smith in Fez



The Times Online has an article about Jennifer Smith and her Moroccan venture...

Less than a year after graduating from cookery school, Smith was the proud owner of a riad-style house in Fez, badly in need of renovation before she could open it as a guesthouse. She used her bank training to put together a business plan but after only 24 hours in her new home she realised that her calculations were all “utterly useless”. It took four years to open the guesthouse, not months as she’d hoped.

“I lived extremely simply. I could live on £100 a month here... because I was living in my building site. I was sleeping on sheepskins. I didn’t travel, buy new clothes. I had no expenses, I was washing my clothing by hand.”

The reality of following a dream is the hard work but there was also time for some romance. Smith married an American guitarist studying flamenco in Fez and they now run the guesthouse together.

“It is hard work. Harder than I expected, but because we are working for ourselves and we are doing something that we really love, it doesn’t always feel like work.”

Read the full story here: TIMES ONLINE


Tags:

No comments: