Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fez Medina Departure Lounge




"I'll miss Fez, my friends, my house ( especially the basement)... but the Caribbean has some attractions... did I tell you about the Bianca incident...?"

In the lap of luxury...Louis with Tony Hall aboard the "Bianca"

Over the past few years in Fez we have had many colourful characters passing through. Some have faded away, some remain... and then there is Louis. When Louis da Fez first arrived on the scene locals and expats alike were intrigued. Why had a man who worked on luxury yachts in exotic places given it all up to live in the Fez Medina? As he said at the time..."I was on a trip back to England and found that everyone was talking about Fez in Morocco. I didn’t even know where Fez was, so I decided to investigate.”

It was a fateful decision. To put it simply – he fell in love with the Medina. “Coming through the Bab Bou Jeloud I realized I was walking into a magical place. I was only in the Medina for three days, but it pressed all my buttons. I ditched the notion of a second place in Spain and instead looked at every available house – and found one. I put down a deposit and went back to Spain."

In 2006 Louis broke the world record for cookie munching.

To describe Louis as a party animal would be an understatement. Yet his first priority on arriving back in Fez was restoring his house. He did so with apparent ease, helped by having a really good relationship with the locals. Once his beautiful house was restored Louis relaxed into Medina life and became a founding member of the Purple Circle - a group of Moroccans and expats putting energy into cultural events. At his farewell last night he was made a life member and his place on the board taken by a certain Dominique...

Purple Circle - Kleo & Louis da Fez

Last night's farewell was held at Flounge where a crowd gathered to have a final glass of mint tea with Louis before he heads back to the world of glamour yachts. This time next week Louis will be in the Carribean.

Travel well Louis - you will be missed.




Nabil & Dominick



Alessandro & Jonathon



She who dances ... danced farewell to Louis da Fez

Alessandro generously showered everyone with fabulous food.

Thanks to the Fez Lounge staff for your hospitality.


Photos: Sandy McCutcheon

Tags:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh Louie, I am so sad you are leaving. But I do keep the memories... ooh such memories

Amanda Parry said...

Bianca is right. The memories, of your house, those ceilings... and the basement. Oh la la! Travel well sweet prince.

Amanda Parry said...

Louie, Louie... I was such a fool... I couldn't help myself... (giggle) so you helped me. Shukran big boy.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My name is Yemi. I am a freelance contributing writer for NuWire Investor, an online Seattle based investment magazine that covers international real estate markets for a worldwide audience (http://www.nuwireinvestor.com).

I am currently working on a story about the real estate market in Fez, Morrocco and would love the opportunity to interview Suzanna Clarke, the author of A House in Fez, via email to ask her about her experience of buying a house and living in Fez.

Please contact me at yemiwrtes@gmail.com if this is possible.

Thank you so much.

Yemi

... said...

welcome
I love marrocan music
http://arabmusique.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dear sweet Louie - we miss you so much. xxxxxxx :)