Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Clarification about "building collapse"

Recently we posted about another building collapse in Fez, in which one person was injured and another killed when a prayer-room ceiling caved in. Many of us assumed that the building was in the Medina - but our correspondent David Amster was quick to point out...

I was a bit surprised to hear about this, since supposedly all buildings in the medina have had scaffolding put in them if there are any dangerous cracks. So today I spoke with some engineers in ADER (the agency for the dedensification and rehabilitation of the fes medina!) to see what happened. They said that the building was in the new town and was a newish building, and that the workers had not allowed the cement to set long enough, or something like that.

I guess it's my bias that when I read "Fez" I assumed it was in the medina!


Our thanks to the ever watchful David Amster.


Tags:

1 comment:

Arabian wild cat said...

Dear Sandy;
i've invited you to my blog spot and i'ven't received anything from you yet.
i hope that you've received my invitation,and i would like to say that you blog spot is very interesting and i hope that mine will become interesting as well.
it's me the arabian-wild-cat.
karima