Friday, January 26, 2007

The confusion of a long distance Moroccan.


How important is national identity? It is always interesting to read the blogs of Moroccans who have started a life in a new country. Sometimes, and for some people, the distance from their homeland brings out a craving for all things Moroccan. For other people Morocco is simply the place they came from and their interest appears to be more intellectual rather than emotional and their interests gravitate around news stories, literature music and film.

There are few instances when someone writes of the confusion caused by dislocation - something this must also play a very large part in notions of identity and self-worth.

Recently, BO18, a young Moroccan blogger writing from London, posted about his sense that his "Moroccan" self was vanishing, or at least, not as strong as it had once been. What is really interesting about this piece, is the very positive conclusion he comes to.

"I was thinking that I can hardly call myself Moroccan anymore. I dont know how to make briouat anymore, my Darija is lousier than that of a baby and gossip Maroqui irritates me (gossip maricón is still ok)Besides that I just don't feel really Moroccan. I havent been to Morocco for 6 years, I shunned it for its ignorance and other reasons.

My reckless idealism decided to play tricks on me and telling me that I should shun Morocco for its backward culture and politics. So I did. Let me clarify the "backward culture" stance. I regard every culture or state as backward when religion and modern conservatism are playing a major role. And sadly in Morocco, modern conservatism is on the rise (from hear-say that is).

I'm all pro global and globalized culture. But we all know that the globalized culture is failing somehow. We're still global but regional global. We all, eventually, fall back to "our" region. In my case that would be both Morocco and the Netherlands, like all other second generation immigrants. But as you kind of guessed, it would be like that but it isn't. In my case its nothing. I'm regionalless (thats a real word as well and thats a fact!) Another sign that my "Moroccanness" is failing.

And you know what? I'm actually proud of it. It takes alot of practice and time to dispose yourself of the cultural shackles. Its just that you feel naked afterwards, but I don't have problems with feeling naked."


Read the post here: The Moroccan Touch.

See also the strange story of identity here: The confusion... part two

Also of interest: Eatbees, who feels, you should be proud of losing your identity so you can better define yourself. Read his piece on loss of identity.

Tags:

No comments: