Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mike's Medina - A photo journey at sunset.


Often I head out of the house without a camera for fear
of being taken for a tourist and finding my coffee costing
twice as much. Today I decided that the camera was coming.

So I headed up to Batha and then down the Tala'a Kbira...




Meet Mike. Mike offered to show David Amster and me
around his almost
completed house. It is cute, gorgeous
and I can't wait to
visit when it is completed.




David Amster cast an eye over the progress and
apart from suggesting the removal of a couple of
columns... was very pleased with what he saw.
The walls are plastered with the natural sand
colour that is the hallmark of Riad Zany, the
home of The View from Fez



It has to be said that Mike collects furniture like
... well, actually like nothing I can think of! It will
be interesting to see how he arranges it.




We headed up to the terrace and found ourselves
up close and personal with the very top of a large
mosque. It is rare to get so close and so it was great
to take a good look at the decorative tile work.





My eye was taken by a great looking oval window
which, on inspection turned out to be an upstairs
toilet window.




One of the most extraordinary views from a loo!




Mike awaits the call to prayer in front of
his nearest mosque. I don't think he is in
danger of not hearing it.




On the terrace, not even the beauty of the mosque can distract
David from spotting some rather cheap and nasty building works.
One has to wonder how anyone got permission to do this




Time for food and a glass of wine. Our friend Louis is keen
to catch up on all the renovation gossip as well as the latest
news from the other side of the Medina.
We dine with Mike and experience some marvelous cooking.
The dainty little lemon tarts were... very lemon and very tarty -
perfect. This boy sure can cook. Thanks Mike.




At the end of the day - Louis indulges in a little contemplation.
Meanwhile - outside, as I wend my way home,
the sun is setting behind yet another mosque



Sometimes when you go out it
pays to take the camera



Tags:

1 comment:

Di Mackey said...

Again, much appreciated. Thank you for this taste of life over there.

Just lately I've been hanging out with a Moroccan and visiting with Moroccan and other shop owning nationalities however nothing compares to 'being there' and I do enjoy when you post like this.