Tuesday, April 17, 2007

SPONSORED TREK TO THE SUMMIT OF JEBEL TOUBKAL


Support Lynn Evans in her quest to raise money for a great Moroccan cause. Lynn explains what she is doing and why....



IN SUPPORT OF THE SOCIAL, CULTURAL, EDUCATIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL WORK OF ASSOCIATION FES DHAR EL MEHRAZ

JEBEL TOUBKAL is the highest point in the Atlas mountains and indeed the whole of North Africa at 4,167 metres. It’s a long walk but, on the 29th April I hope to get to the summit of this beautiful and inspiring mountain, not just because it is there but because it seems like the perfect choice when my other objective is to raise money for some very inspiring and extraordinary people – my friends in the Association Fes Dhar El Mehraz.

Its core members founded the Social and Cultural Association in 1999 for the people of the bidonville of Fes Dhar El Mehraz, which houses thousands of families. I had the good fortune and the privilege to meet them in 2001 whilst researching for La Fondation Mohamed VI. I was so inspired by them that I wrote an article about the experience of my visit and its profound effect on me.

The Spirit of Dhar El Mehraz is nothing short of transformative – it transforms lives and creates miracles. In the tiny room which serves as the centre of the association its members create theatre and music with the local children. Plays are rehearsed, costumes created, music practiced, singing voices trained. The standards are impressive and the engagement is total. Several years ago they created a National Festival of Children’s Theatre. Every year children from all over Morocco – from as far away as Agadir –gather at Dhar El Mehraz. For workshops and performances, the exchange of ideas and awards for their work.

Make-up backstage Festival dans la Ville 2006



Other activities of the association include educational courses – from literacy for those who cannot read or write, often the elderly, to extra support for children preparing for exams, from IT to health and food issues. Sports teams are formed, trained and engaged in matches at regional and national levels, work creation projects are master-minded, environmental days are organised to involve the whole community in clearing up and tree-planting.

Above all they instil in the lives of the children such qualities as co-operation, laughter, dignity, engagemement, hope and the recognition of their own potential. Some of the children I’ve seen grow and blossom over the years. I asked one young girl, Sophia, what was the value of the Association to her. She simply said: “a good teacher is life”. She plans to become a teacher.

But what is really miraculous is that they have done all of this with virtually no money – just enormous amounts of energy and very big hearts. The Spirit of Fes Dhar El Mehraz is the magic that transforms .

It will perhaps be a small miracle if I get to the top of Toubkal. I’ve never « done » a mountain before but I’m training hard, well it feels quite hard. A couple of peaks in Snowdon over Easter were my first taste of the mixture of exhaustion and exhiliration – and the pain that follows. And that was just 994 metres – a mere molehill in comparison to the snow-peaked Toubkal. But it too will be appropriately magical.

Amongst the new projects born of the association is the creation of an Academy of Music and Performing Arts. It will be there to teach talented musicians, with free classes for poorer students. It will endeavour to bring the arts to the marginalised communities of Morocco. It will support the production of music, songs, film, video and theatre which carry the message of peace, tolerance, respect of others and dialogue between civilizations.

In February this year I was officially appointed an Honorary member of the Association. And, they have given me an even greater honour,for the very little support and encouragement, I feel, that I have been able to give them. To be honest I think that they have given me so much more than I could possibly return, for each time I meet with them I am profoundly touched by the Spirit of Dhar El Mehraz. My new unofficial title is «l’ ange gardien ». So I have a lot to live up to !

If I make it to the top of this beautiful mountain – it will be a very small achievment compared to all that has been achieved by the spirit of Fes Dhar El Mehraz - a spirit as indomitable as the Spirit of Jebel Toubkal. But climbing the biggest mountain in Morocco seems like a good start for an « ange gardien » especially if it helps to raise awareness of their work and convinces lots of people that they would like to contribute something towards its continuation and development helping them continue working their magic. So do please give if you can – I know that any contribution will multiply the transformative magic of the Spirit of Fes Dhar El Mehraz.

My contact is lynnevans80@hotmail.com if you want details of how to sponsor me or just contribute.

The View from Fez supports this sponsorship and invites you to contact Lynn.

Tags:

No comments: