Here's the soup that Morocco is famous for; the soup that breaks the fast every day during Ramadan. You can leave out the lamb and meat stock if you want a vegetarian version.
Ingredients250g lean lamb cut into small cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 can chickpeas
1,5l water or lamb stock
125g red lentils
1 can peeled tomatoes
1 tblsp sundried tomato paste
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 red pepper, chopped
fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat about 2 tbsp oil and cook the lamb until evenly browned; add the onion and cook until soft.
2. Add the chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon, red pepper and water or stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add the rice and simmer for about 15 minutes until the rice and lentils are cooked.
4. Stir in the coriander, chopped noodles, add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice, some dates or some sticky sweet Moroccan pastries.
Note: This soup can be thickened with the addition of a little flour or mashed potato
See all our Moroccan recipes here: MOROCCAN COOKBOOK!
Tags: Moroccan Morocco Fes, Maghreb news