Monday, November 19, 2012

TINGHIR-JÉRUSALEM: ECHOES OF MELLAH - Documentary on Wednesday


As part of their Documentary Month, the French Institute in Fez is showing TINGHIR-JÉRUSALEM: ECHOES OF THE MELLAH - with the director Kamal Hachkar in discussion after the film. The film is in French.



The venue is Cinema Rex on Wednesday November 21 at 7pm

"In France, I grew up in the idea that all Berbers were Muslims. But in my hometown of Tinghir in the Moroccan Atlas, the stories of my grandparents allowed me to discover that other Berbers were Jews. Yet, in the early 60s, despite more than 2,000 years of common history, these Jews left the Atlas. My research showed the buried memory of the generation that experienced the Jewish presence, but quickly this research took me to Israel where I found some of the families from Tinghir. Along with them, between Israel and Morocco, "Tinghir Jerusalem: Echoes of the Mellah" resonates with songs, voices and stories of the dual identity shared between Jews and Muslims." - Kamal Hachkar


SHARE THIS!

No comments: