The Fes Photography Workshop takes place in a medieval medina - the darkly-romantic and evocative city of Fes. In its inaugural year the workshop will be run in tandem with the Sufi Cultural Festival (13th – 20th April, 2013). The six day workshop is open to up to twelve participants.
|Fes Sufi Festival - a photogenic treat (photo Sandy McCutcheon)|
|Fes - a seduction of all your senses |
(photo Sandy McCutcheon)
From a photographer's point of view the Fes Medina has a lot to offer. The medina or Fes el-Bali, is the largest living medieval Medina (walled city) of the Arab world. And it is the world’s largest pedestrian city, as well. Its narrow, winding alleys and covered bazaars – intricate and detailed in design – are awash with brilliant colors and buzzing with a lively foot-traffic-only hubbub of daily business and life. A walk through the medina is truly a veritable seduction of all the senses. The colours, shapes, sights, sounds and smells of this jostling city will carry you on a magic carpet journey through the amazing labyrinthine that is Fes.
From the dye-makers to the tanneries, artisan workshops, old palaces and much, more more, Fes offers the adventureous photographer an endless variety of fascinating and exotic visual opportunity.
The workshop will be run by The Compelling Image
INFORMATION FROM THE ORGANISERS
If you are interested in participating in the workshops for first step is to register your interest by submitting some work or website links via email. The organisers ask that you send a minimum of 7 works and a maximum of 10. They aim to ensure the level, instruction and experience at the workshop is fitting for all participants while maintaining a high standard of skill. #Please note this is not a beginners workshop.
We are offering two options on how to participate in the workshop.
1. Workshop with accommodation (highly recommended)
Double shared accommodation seven nights at the workshop riad (offered at discount of standard rates and very competitive for Fez ) including pickup and transfers to the riad, breakfasts, from Saturday 13th to Saturday 20th April.
USD 1985 (workshop and shared double accommodation)
USD 2370 ( workshop and single accommodation – limited availability so book early)
2. Workshop only.
The cost of the workshop only will be USD 1600 for 6 days
Once participants have been selected they will be expected to pay a non-refundable deposit of USD 500 within two weeks and pay the rest of the workshop fee 4 weeks before the workshop commencement – 2nd March 2013.
Participants should plan to arrive during the day on Saturday April 13th register that they have arrived and attend the welcome dinner. The workshop start Sunday 14th April and runs till Friday 19th, departures or further stay should be arranged from Saturday 20th April onwards.
|photo: John Horniblow|
Morocco Photography Workshops and Expeditions is offering three places to locally based Morocco photographers to participate in the workshops for a reduced price of 1000 USD – 8380 MAD. This prices does not include the accommodation but accommodation can be added if you need it.
In the unlikely event that the workshop does not fill all 12 spots we will run the workshop with a minimum of seven participants. We reserve the right to cancel the workshop if the minimum number of participants is not met and upon which case we will refund the deposits.
To register for the Fez Photography Workshop please contact Plan-it Fez.
The price includes:
- photography tuition and multimedia development and tuition (including defining each participant’s project; shooting; editing sessions; creating a coherent body of work; creation of a slide show; projection of the images of the participants)
- seven nights accommodation at the riad if you take the workshop with accommodation package (highly recommended)
- a welcome and farewell dinner
- lunch on workshop days
- assistance and help from the Morocco Photography Expeditions team and an assistant/translator with local knowledge.
Participants will be expected to make their own travel arrangements to Fez. Once you have arrived in the city we can organize pickups.
• We also can advise on finding the accommodation that best suits you. Fez has a number of accommodation options and if you don’t take the accommodation package we highly recommend you stay in the medina where you have the choice to rent small riad houses, other riad accommodation, some hotels and the occasional low end backpacker style hotels( not recommended) Most of your time will be spent either at the workshop riad or out shooting projects so if you do not take the accommodation package at the riad we advise you stay nearby.
• You should bring all necessary equipment. Please note that for the purposes and practicalities of a workshop, digital photography equipment is advisable as lab access in Fez is difficult to find (E6 processing is virtually impossible to organize in Morocco! ).
• All participants should also bring a laptop (if you have one. ) and we will try to work around situations where this is not possible.
*To register and for more information, including single-supplement and workshop-only pricing, please contact Plan-it Fez directly.