The respected Lonely Planet guide books have just published a list of Europe's top ten festivals. To our surprise the Fes Festival of World Sacred Music was included. A worthwhile inclusion... but in "Europe"? Here is what they had to say...
|Festival magic in Fez - Photo: Vanessa Bonnin (The View from Fez)|
Fez Festival of World Sacred Music, Morocco
Ok, ok, we know Morocco isn’t in Europe, but we don’t want you to miss out on this one since it really is one heck of a music fest. ‘Sacred’ is a loose description of the music on the bill at this nine-day event, as it’s definitely not just for the religious. Instead it’s a massive feel-good get-together, featuring shows from all sorts of traditions. French gypsy songs, Chicago blues and nightly Moroccan Sufi performances are all on the bill this year, as is a Youssou N’Dour tribute to Nelson Mandela. You can’t top the setting either - concerts are held at atmospheric sites throughout the city, such as the 14th century Bab Al Makina, medina riads and the Batha Museum’s gardens.
When: 13-21 June 2014
Getting there: Fez Airport is about 15km away from the city centre - take a taxi or grab a shuttle bus into town.
Learn more: fesfestival.com
Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/europe/travel-tips-and-articles/europes-best-summer-festivals-for-2014#ixzz31fm8QxE6
"90% of people The View from Fez photographed in a one hour period in the Talaa Sghira in Fez were carrying Lonely Planet - the other 10% were lost." - David Margan Australian TV journalist