Saturday, January 28, 2006

Partir - New book by Tahar Ben Jelloun



At the heart of Partir, the new book by Ben Jelloun, is the issue of illegal immigration.

Ben Jelloun was born in Fes, 1944. Educated in French studies, he became a philosophy professor at Tetouan and then left Morocco in 1971 to live in the French capital to do a thesis in psychology. "I had not been educated in the arabisation of philosophy and the teaching of Islamic thought instead of, and in place of, universal thought. That is why I left. For this reason I do not feel as though I am a writer in exile. Even though there have been difficult periods, I have never felt that I could not return; that the doors of my native country had been closed for me."

Partir by Tahar Ben Jelloun, will be published in September 2006 in Italy, (Bompiani Milan) Spain (Groupe 62), Germany (Berlin Verlag) and Sweden (Alphabeta).

European current affairs magazine, Cafe Babel has an interview with Ben Jelloun that is worth reading.

Go to source: Cafe babel.

The Ben Jelloun site ( French )

Tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really interesting. I will look out for it.