Sunday, June 15, 2014

Running the Fes Festival Mini Marathon


More than 2,500 Moroccan and international runners took part in a race that coincided with the start of the Fes Festival of World Sacred Music. Gail Leonard reports for The View from Fez

The Course de Rythmes 6.6K race was such a pleasure to be part of. From collecting my number and T-shirt from the Delegation de Jeunesse et Sport (I guess I fitted into the latter rather than the former!) to the finishing line and walking through the medina afterwards sporting my medal, everyone I came across was so supportive, welcoming and excited.

Still at 6pm the heat was intense. Water was given by the sponsors to every runner and motivation was provided throughout the route by groups of musicians at every landmark. The Gnawa band playing the James Bond theme tune at Bab Meknes was a particularly memorable moment. Crowds had come to cheer , especially at Bab Semmarine, where it began to be much needed!

Gail Leonard

This was my first ever race and what a great and different way to see the sights, hear the sacred music, experience the conviviality of all involved and be inspired by the sporting spirit of Fes. A big thank you to the organisers and all my co-runners!

SHARE THIS!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: