Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Macho Mouchkil - Fighting Sexism in Morocco


CA SUFFIT, SAFI, BARAKA!

French journalist Julia Küntzle has embarked on an ambitious project to fight against sexism, discrimination and harassment of women 
The project began in Rabat but will eventually be repeated in other countries.

"I intend to continue my project and expand internationally," Küntzle says.

The first part of the project aims to denounce the regular machismo met in Rabat  through portraits of fifty masked Moroccans each of whom share their own personal story.
I started the project to denounce the regular machismo met daily, from Rabat to Paris, Dakar, Naples, etc. It begins in Morocco under the name "Macho Mouchkil" because in Morocco the phrase "Machi Mouchkil!" in Darija means "No problem". - Julia Küntzle
Soufyane: "Widows and divorced women are treated as objects"

Soufyane: "The Macho Mouchkil that most struck me concerned my mother, who was harassed by her supervisor. She works in the state field ... Her superior told her stuff like, 'You're beautiful, do you want to sleep with me?' Because of him, she could not get ahead for two years and still has problems. He even touched her. It was really hard for her and she could not complain or seek justice. Especially since my mother is a divorcee, which is frowned upon in Morocco. Widows and divorced women are treated as objects for men here."

Raja: "I am divorced and I'm not a Miskina"

Raja: Women in Morocco and the Arab world should get angry. That's why I say that. Since my childhood, I am called the rebel in the family - because I am against the laws, customs and patriarchal traditions. What irritates me most in Morocco is 'miskina', that is to say 'the poor woman.' All women who have been slow to get married, have divorced, or who have not had children are eternally 'miskina'. However, as a divorced woman, I am tired of being labelled 'miskina". I admit that I sometimes lie. On documents I still write 'married', instead of 'divorced' because I'm afraid of what other people say. It is the same with some colleagues who ask me how is my husband. I tell them he's okay, because I know they will not behave the same way with me, and I will feel that look of pity and this name 'miskina' that pursues me ... But it makes me angry to hide that. I will not hide anymore, I do not have the age or patience."

It is to be hoped that the completed project will go on display in Morocco in the future. In the meantime, Julia Küntzle's work will be exhibited in France from March 4 to 13 as "Portraits of Morocco, the United States and France" at the Cherbourg Festival "Women in the City".

Julia's website 

SHARE THIS!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: